Thursday, July 3, 2014

I'm cheap: CSA part quatre

I beat the hell out of my liver and kidneys with alcohol for too many years. Sure, it was super fun doing it. But now I'm in my upper 30's, and it's taken its toll on me. My liver might be detoxing until I die. And as a good friend says, "If you're not detoxing, you're toxing." ... or something like that. So, I eat salad every day ... several times a day. There's such variety in salad. It's oh so pretty too. I dig pretty things.

But I don't really dig kohlrabi. So, I hit up google to find a recipe that might work with a few of the goodies I got this week in our CSA. I came across this little gem.

KOHLRABI, BEET SUMMER SALAD
I took one pound of raw beets, kohlrabi & carrots (from the grocer), and shredded them. I added the zest and juice of one lemon, 1TBSP olive oil, 1TBSP raw honey and gave it a quick stir. This became the perfect salad for a day like today: 88 and humid! It made a generous amount, which will feed a few meals through the week. And it's just how I like it. Simple. Quick and easy!
(and pretty too!)

And this is without a filter. Nature's colors!
For dinner, I went with my staple kale salad. I'm not usually a fan of fruit in my salad. If you follow the laws of proper food combining, it's kind of a "no no". But, I feel I digest it just fine. And this salad is totally dessert. TOTALLY. Not to mention kale holds up super well to dressing. So, you can create this and store in fridge for a few days. I usually have 2-4 salads in my fridge that I can pull out and munch on. Keeps me from raiding my husband's snack cupboard!

Everyday kale salad.

EVERYDAY KALE SALAD: Simple and amazing
Shredded kale
Chopped onion
Apple chunks
Hemp seeds

Top with my fave dressing: Tangy honey vinagrette
3/4 cup olive oil (I actually do an olive/sesame oil blend)
1/4 (plus a splash more) apple cider vinegar (raw with mother)
2 TBSP water
2 TBSP honey
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper (I don't usually use pepper in this, but it's an option)

Before I bore you to pieces, I'm going to wrap up my CSA week recipes.

Sauteed beet greens with garlic.
But I left out the beet greens (leaves). Darn! Okay, use these however you would use spinach. My favorite way (not raw, but I do love a cooked veggie once in awhile!) is to tear them and saute with fresh chopped garlic, sea salt and olive or coconut oil. I seriously think it's one of my favorite foods ever. I sometimes add in some tarragon for an "OMG, die!" moment.


Garlic scapes!
Oh. Scapes!!! How can I forget. Garlic has a stem while growing, and it's not only edible, it's delicious! I look forward to scape season just so I can make batches of Garlic Scape Pesto and freeze it. Our last CSA season gave me so much pesto, I ate it until the following season.

One last thing. Stay tuned to see how you can use all the little parts of the veggies you cut off and toss (i.e. beet or carrot "skins", flimsy celery stalks, cabbage center stalk, etc.). Listen, I compost. But very little goes in there once I'm done with a plant. I told you I'm cheap. I'm frugal. And I've had countless people ask me how I can eat so healthy on such a small paycheck. So, I'm really happy to finally be able to have a forum to share this with all of you. My secrets are out! I wish I could fit them all in one post! But it would take me a year to write, and then you'd have nothing to look forward to tomorrow.

Peace in, friends. Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment