Monday, July 28, 2014

Brocc stalk slaw

Hey ya'll. Thrifty Cent is back! (That's my frugal alter ego). Remember way back when, when I told you to save those broccoli stalks instead of ditching them? Well, I have a pile I've saved since that post that I'm now ready to do something with.

Enter, brocc stalk slaw.
Such a pretty lunch … for almost being tossed in the trash!
Nobody can believe how unbelievable tasty this is. It's such a quick salad to put together. You can keep it (no dressing) in the fridge all week (munchies require quick pickin's & this kills pretzels in a nutritional battle) and pull out in times of hunger. You know I like easy. I ain't got time for hard! And I want you to spend your time with your loved ones instead of in the kitchen.

Let's see what we've got. Somewhere between 7-10 stalks of broccoli are ready to go!
Broccoli stalks ready to be skinned.
These stalks need the outer layer taken off. It contains fibers that are too hard to chew through. But inside, there's a crispy and delicate core that resembles the texture of a pickling cucumber with the slight flavor of broccoli … only sweeter. I use a chef's knife to slice off the "skin".
Broccoli stalk core, ready to be shredded. 
Now that your skins are off, don't throw them away! You can juice them in place of the kale stems in this juice or any of your favorite green juice recipes. Or you can throw them in the freezer for veggie stock. I'll cover veggie stock soon!
Broccoli stalk skins ready to juice or freeze.
 Grab some slices of sweet onion. Vidalias are lovely! Chop them small.
Don't forget your sweet onion. It adds a level of flavor and is a boost of immune support!
Next, shred your broccoli stalk using a cheese grater or a food processor. I prefer the processor. I think the cheese grater should legally change its name to "knuckle ruiner".
Shred your stalk on a cheese grater or in a food processor. 
 Dump your shredded stalk and onion into a bowl and top with dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds and drizzle with ACV (apple cider vinegar) and sea salt. Alternatively, you can use my ACV honey dressing, but I like just plain ACV! I always soak, sprout & dehydrate my pumpkin seeds before eating them, for extra ease on my digestion and maximum absorption of vitamins and nutrients. I'll go over soaking and sprouting soon!
Lunch today: pairing my brocc stalk slaw with my summer squash dish (which is up next! Stay tuned!).

I really hope you like this one! It's so easy and really a crowd pleaser! I just love creating things out of parts you'd normally think to just throw away or compost. It's so satisfying!

Happy lunching!
Steph

2 comments:

  1. Nums! Thanks for linking me to your blog! It's lovely. We like to add shredded carrots, almonds, sunflower seeds - basically anything crunchy we have on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I love that you can just toss in anything you feel like. Thanks for sharing and commenting!!!

    ReplyDelete