Friday, February 20, 2015

Friday goody

I am in desperate need of a detox ... Specifically a chocolate detox. (Honestly, a regular detox too, but that will have to wait until I'm finished breast-feeding my daughter). Whenever the holidays come around, I get on a chocolate kick that is so hard to get off of. Somehow I get to a point where I need chocolate every day in order to survive. At least this is what I tell myself. If I don't have it in the house, I start to get anxious. Two days without it, and I'm freaking out. (Picture me frantically searching cupboards, knowing there is no chocolate in them, only to confirm my disappointment by again finding nothing. All the while wondering to myself why I didn't pick up that bag of chocolate chips at the grocery store last week). It's pathetic really. Whenever I get to this point, I know I need to detox. Nothing should have a hold of my sanity like that. Time to put chocolate back in its cage and leave it there for good. (Well at least until next holiday season).

This is usually when I find my best recipes. Today was no exception. I have hardly anything in the house. But sometimes having nothing can create the most simple (and I like simple) recipes, which are also extremely delicious. 

Make these immediately. My kids and I just devoured one batch in a matter of two minutes, which is about how long they took to make. In fact, better make two just so that you have some for later. 

Typically, coconut recipes require a lot of eggs to keep them together. But these cookies are different. They hold together just fine with the few ingredients that are required. In fact, keeping the eggs out of this recipe allows the coconut to get super crispy. Best of all, these cookies are completely allergen free. No gluten, soy, eggs, corn, sugar, dairy. Winner winner cookies for dinner!



Easy Peasy Coconut Flour Cookies
3 Tbsp Coconut Flour (I use Trader Joes Brand because it's fantastically tasty and easy and cheap ... 3 things I'm notorious for).
2 Tbsp Cold Coconut Oil (cold meaning in solid form ... Not melted).
1 Tbsp Maple Syrup
1/4-1/2 tsp vanilla (optional)
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)
Pinch Sea Salt

• Smoosh ingredients together with a fork until blended and evenly consistent. 
• Roll into tiny bite-size balls and place on parchment lined cookie sheet (don't skip the parchment).
• Flatten with finger, then make cross-hatch marks with fork.
• Bake at 365 for 10 minutes max. These burn easily, so keep a close watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment