Friday, October 10, 2014

When life gives you cauliflower, make reubens.

Nom nom nom. 
Monster cauliflower! Sweet pie pumpkins! Hearty kale! Oh my! Locally grown loveliness is bountiful as our CSA for 2014 is still going strong. In fact, despite the cold weather, we've been getting more veggies than this entire season! And they are beautiful.

Last week we got these massive cauliflower heads. It had big leaves attached, which I had to remove just to get it in my bag so I could get it home. I'm sure everyone has a million things they can do with cauliflower: Roasted with turmeric, raw cauliflower spanish rice (thank you Lori for bringing this to my attention!), roasted cauliflower & garlic soup, steamed cauliflower with garlic "butter". So, I'm not going to talk about the part of cauliflower that you typically eat. I'm here to talk about those leaves I cut off. 

We are always so quick to disgard leaves. But, when you think about it, lettuce is leaves. Kale is leaves. Chard is leaves. Collards are leaves. And if you can eat those, you can eat cauliflower or broccoli leaves. They are in the exact family as kale, you know. 

I've been known to fill & roll them with some soaked and cooked black beans, avocado and tomato and lightly sauté in a pan. Or just use them as a wrap for your sandwich. They are extremely low in calories, unbelievably high in nutrients and minerals and help you (and me) look younger than our years. Greens are the fountain of youth ... both inside and out. So, throwing them out is not an option for me. Here's a quick idea for lunch this week. Put the turkey sandwich down (I'm talking to you, my husband). Open your mind & your mouth. Taste the goodness.

Reubens, revisited
Vegan reuben: Plant based, full of probiotics & enzymes, vitamins, minerals and protein.


INGREDIENTS
  • Cauliflower leaves
  • Grain free tempeh (this is literally the only way I will eat soy products ... fermented)
  • Real sauerkraut (I make this myself. It's super easy!)
  • Homemade Thousand Island (I literally will just mix mayo/vegenaise with organic ketchup and relish or homemade chopped pickles). Alternatively, you can use Hummus or Tahini, which I also LOVE.
  • (Optional) Wilted spinach leaves

STEPS
  • Trim center stalk out of leaves.
  • Lightly brown tempeh in a cast iron skillet.
  • Roll spinach leaves in your hands until they are wilted and soft.
  • Place tempeh, spinach & sauerkraut in your leaf & top with thousand island, hummus or tahini. 
  • Roll the leaf around the goodies & eat your heart healthy.
Trim the tough center vein out of the leaf & toss that vein in your freezer for veggie stock later.
Add the tempeh, sauce, sauerkraut & wilted spinach. 

It looks divine and your cells (and energy levels) will say "thank you". 
 I can't talk while my mouth is being stuffed full of deliciousness.
Happy lunching!


No comments:

Post a Comment