Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Shamrock Cakes


Happy St Patrick's Day! What once was my favorite holiday due to my old habits of passionately drinking, had to be reinvented once I had kids and changed the direction my life was going in. 

Enter new traditions (aka, what to do instead of guzzling green beers and eggs at 5am). I traded beer for chaga tea and eggs for these scrumptious green pancakes. Best part? These are gluten free and vegan! 

Buckwheat is not wheat. It's not even a grain. It's a flower bud. And it's one of the most protein dense "grain" flours out there. So, you don't need the eggs to get protein. 

Spirilina is one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Full of aminos, vitamins and minerals (iron, iodine, vitamin k, b vitamins vitamin a, etc). This powerhouse is a staple in our everyday foods. I don't typically cook with it, because it's better ingested raw. But this ingredient really pumps up the deep green that turns these pancakes into shamrocks. 

I'm a big fan of the nutrient dense kale plant. BIG FAN. And my kids have no idea there is kale on these. I don't think I need to tour the benefits of kale. But cruciferous veggies help sweep the system of excess sugars and salts and hormones. Top that off with the mega dose of vitamins and minerals in kale, and you have a super good to grow super humans. 

Enough of my blabbing, here's the recipe!

Shamrock Pancakes

Ingredients
  • 1 cup buckwheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 Tsp cinnamon 

    • 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (or 20+ drops liquid stevia)
    • 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
    • 2 Tbsp potato starch (this replaces the need for egg)
    • 1.5-2 cups coconut milk
    • 1 cup spinach
    • 1 cup kale

      1 Tbsp spirilina powder

    • 2 Tbsp coconut oiL
    • Steps:
    • 1. Combine dry ingredients. 
    • 2. Add wet ingredients and mix well (you need to melt the coconut oil, or it won't blend in).
    • 3. Oil pancake skillet and pour 3 circles for the shamrock and a little drizzle for the tail. 
    • We top with raw honey and homemade raw sprouted sunflower seed butter and "sprinkles" (bee pollen). 
    Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment